Sunday, September 5, 2010

Reality

I've gotten my first dose of Army life. Coming here I knew that this would happen, but I guess you can't really be prepared to hear that your friends are leaving. J and K have been friends with B for a LONG time. In fact J and B have been here at Ft. Lewis for their entire Army career, about 8 years, in the same unit the whole time, which is really rare. They're super close, and B is even god father to J's little girl. When I got here they took me in and accepted me instantly. It was amazing and they are awesome friends. They got orders for Ft. Jackson in a year. It's likely that by that time we'll have orders too. It's just strange because I just moved here and it's exhausting to think about doing it all over again. At least we still have a year to hang out, I'm just not looking forward to moving somewhere that neither of us know anybody. At least here B had friends and I met wives of his friends. When we move we'll both be starting from scratch and that scares me. I'm shy and it's hard for me to open up to people.

B goes back to work Tuesday after a long 3 weeks of block leave. He's going to talk to his reenlistment guy and we'll try to figure out what he's going to do. He's still on the fence about reclassing, and if he does reclass the jobs open to him will be limited because of his rank. And if he gets promoted one more time in the Infantry he'll have to stay Infantry for the rest of his career. So we have some big decisions to make. He won't actually be reenlisting until October so we can hopefully get a bonus. I've told him that I will support him no matter what he decides. It really doesn't matter to me whether he stays Infantry or not, I just want him to be happy with whatever he's doing.

For now I have to go feed the furbabies and contemplate the future.

1 comment:

  1. I also have a hard time putting myself out there. I'm a bit socially awkward. LOL

    It helped to remind myself that most of the people on post are in the same position as me- new(ish) to the area and open to new friends. Also, (I'm terrible at taking this advice, but) try not to turn down invites. It's a great way to meet people you have something in common with.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete