Saturday, September 11, 2010

It's Been 9 Years...

I still remember exactly what I was doing that day. Do you? I think it will be one of those events in history where everybody will always remember where they were that fateful day. I was in Middle School, sitting in a computer class. Class had just started and we were all getting started on our assignment for the day when an announcement came over the loudspeaker for all the teachers to turn on their television immediatly. I looked around, wondering what was going on, as my teacher, Mr. Gust turned on the television. About 10 seconds later the 2nd plane hit the other tower and I just remember thinking, did that really just happen?? They were discussing the first plane that had hit one of the Twin Towers when a 2nd one just glided across the screen crashing into the other one. I don't think any of us realized at the time how major this was. I was only 13 at the time though. For the rest of the day, every class that I was in had the television on so that we could see what was happening. Another plane hit the pentagon and another plane crashed in Pennsylvania. More details trickled out throughout the day as we all wondered who would do this to us? Who hated our country enough to committ a mass murder right under our nose and leave our country stunned. It wasn't long after that before we were at war with Afghanistan, specifically the Al Queda and the terrorists responsible for that day.


B hasn't really talked much about his experience of the day, but his 17th birthday was the day before and I think it definitely had an impact on his decision to join the military. He enlisted the following spring.

Now it is 9 years later, and our country is involved in not one but two wars. Today remember what happend at Ground Zero in NYC, pray for all those who lost their lives that day, and pray for their families who have to go on without their loved ones. Pray for all of our troops who are still in Iraq and Afghanistan and pray that they all come home to their families very soon.

1 comment:

  1. I was 11 and at school but thank God I wasn't in the States at the time. My friend was in the train station and she heard when someone said the Pentagon was on fire but we were relieved that it wasn't true.
    My heart and pray goes out to the lost lives and families who share the pain.

    ReplyDelete