Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Long Journey

We've made it over 1,200 miles so far! Tomorrow we start the last leg of our journey, thank god, because even though it has been really great to see the country, I'm ready to be done driving!
We left around 7 am on Tuesday morning and drove until about 10:30 last night, so it was a very long day! The west side of Minnesota and most of South Dakota was really boring, but SD got interesting towards the Wyoming border. We made a loop through The Badlands, which was really cool. Its just this desolate area of the state that looks pretty much inhospitable. There are sharp peaks which I am guessing are formed from the strong winds that blow across the plains, and parts of it actually reminding me of the Grand Canyon, only on a smaller scale. All in all, it was very cool to see. We also stopped in Deadwood SD which was pretty cool. A lot of it is still the original buildings, and there are actors that do reenactments in the street, its a little cheesy, but kind of fun to see. We ate at this little steak place that was really good! By the time we finished eating it was almost dark, so driving out of Deadwood, and through the Black Hills was kind of scary in the dark. It felt like we were just going in circles around the hills, but finally we made it back to the interstate. We were planning on driving to Gillette Wyoming before we stopped, but it was getting really late, and my mom and I started getting tired, so we stopped about 50 miles east of Gillette in a little po dunk town called Sundance. It was a good thing we stopped early too, becaus upon checking into the Best Western, we find out there is some conference going on in Gillette and we wouldn't have been able to find a room there anyway. I had intended on making an entry last night, but by the time we stopped and got a room, I was just ready to crash.
When we started out today we were very happy we waited until morning to drive through the rest of Wyoming because it was really pretty. Once we crossed into Montana we stopped at Little Bighorn, where Custer's last stand took place. It didn't interest me all that much, but my dad really wanted to see it, so we walked up to the cemetary and monument, and walked through the museum. Then we made the long trek across Montana. It actually went faster than I thought, especially once we got to the Rockies and had a spectacualar view. We're on the far side of Montana, in Missoula for the night before we finish the last leg of the journey tomorrow.
I think I'm finally letting myself realize that B really is coming home and I really am going to have him back soon. I've been so reluctant to accept it because I'm afraid that the minute I accept that they really are coming home, they will get delayed and I would be devestated. Especially since my parents can't stay out here very long. I'll try not to think of that though! For now I'm going to get some rest before we have even more driving tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment