Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Wedding Plans

The planning is underway :) We've got the dates, April 1st for our courthouse ceremony, and July 8th for our reception. By next week I'm hoping to have the venue booked. My mom is currently checking out a couple places in MN and reporting back to me. I have ideas for the reception table decorations, the favors, I saw a dress I liked that I'm going to Portland to try on. I feel like it's all starting to come together.

We decided to do things a little different from your typical wedding. Number one, courthouse wedding then reception, which seems pretty common for Military couples. As much as I wish I could have all my family and friends out here for my wedding, it will work well for us. We decided to do a later reception, on a Friday night and do hors d'oeuvres and some type of dessert bar. It will end up being a lot cheaper, and it works well for us.

My mom and I have actually figured out a bunch of DIY things we can do to save some money too. I just don't see the point in spending $25,000 on a wedding (which is the cost of most weddings these days supposedly) when you can do it for so much cheaper and still have a classy beautiful event.

The only thing I'm willing to really splurge on is the photographer, because we'll have the photographs forever. The photographer I found that I really like isn't even unreasonable either. I'm pretty much just waiting to book the venue before I start booking everything else.

I'm actually pretty shocked at how well this is all coming together, and how much I really enjoy it! Hopefully it continues to go this smoothly!

1 comment:

  1. I'm with ya on that. Our wedding cost a total of $8700 (our parents helping with some of that), and the photographer was $3200 (came with a bunch of freebies including guestbook and print credit). If you get a good photographer, they can make it look expensive and elegant. :-)

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete