Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Unknown

I'm not going to lie, I'm definitely scared of the unknown. I'm the type of person who likes to plan and organize and always know what's going to happen. I realize the beauty in life is that we DON'T know what is going to happen, but I definitely struggle giving up that control. I've been really trying to, especially since B is about to reenlist. He's decided to go recruiter, which was a decision that really surprised me, but I just want him to be happy with his Army career, and lately he definitely hasn't been that. The physical wear and tear from years of the infantry is getting to him, so it's understandable that he would want to go in a different direction. I support him completely.

Of course with a change in career will come a change in duty station. Now I'm happy here, I love Washington. It's beautiful and green, and even though it rains a lot, I feel a connection to this place. B has been here his whole Army career so far, and is ready for someplace new. I'll definitely be sad to leave this place. For recruiter he gets to put down a bunch of choices of where we would like to go, and it's been kind of difficult deciding. At first he wanted to be near his family which is all out here on the west coast, which I was happy about. I like the west coast, and wouldn't mind staying out here. Now he's changed his mind again, and would rather be near his best friend who has orders for Ft. Benning. So the Florida/Gerogia/South Carolina region is at the top of our list.

Some of the places on our list I'm really not too excited about. And I have no idea what the Army will even do. They may just say screw this list and put us somewhere random. I'm trying not to think too much about it, because I really don't want to be disappointed. It's just a different sort of feeling knowing you can't choose where you live. The Army can tell you at any time where and when to go.

I'm nervous about the future but also excited. I know that wherever we end up it will all be ok because we're together. I just have to remind myself not to overthink things.

No comments:

Post a Comment